If you’re planning a trip to Ghana, having reliable transportation is essential. While public transportation is available, renting a car can give you more freedom and flexibility to explore the country at your own pace. If you have rented a car in Europe or the United States, you are probably used to renting from companies like Hertz, Avis, Budget, or Enterprise. You walk up to the counter, sign your life away, and then drive off in your new-smelling midsize sedan. Car rentals in Ghana are a completely different experience. To help out visitors yet to rent a car in Ghana, we have provided answers to frequently asked questions about car rentals in Ghana. We’ll cover everything you need to know about car rentals in Ghana, including driving tips, and important regulations to keep in mind.
Determine Your Transportation Needs.
Before you start looking for car rental options in Ghana, it’s important to determine your transportation needs. Consider factors such as the size of your group, the length of your trip, and the type of terrain you’ll be driving on. If you’re traveling with a large group or planning to cover long distances, you may want to consider renting a larger vehicle such as a van or SUV. On the other hand, if you’re only planning to explore the city, a smaller car may be more practical.
Guidelines for Car Rentals in Ghana
- Choose a reputable car rental company: Look for car rental companies that are well-established, have positive reviews, and offer a wide range of vehicles to choose from. Some popular car rental companies in Ghana include MiaCar, Europcar, Avis, and Hertz.
- Book your rental in advance: Make your reservation as early as possible to ensure that the vehicle you want will be available on your desired dates. This will also give you time to compare prices and find the best deal.
- Bring all necessary documents: When you go to pick up your rental car, you’ll need to bring your driver’s license, passport, and any other required documentation. Be sure to check with the car rental company ahead of time to find out exactly what you’ll need to bring.
- Inspect the car before you leave: Before you drive off, inspect the car carefully to ensure that it’s in good condition and that there are no pre-existing damages. Take photos or videos of any damages you find and make sure they are noted on your rental agreement.
- Drive safely: Always wear your seatbelt and follow all traffic laws while driving in Ghana. It’s also a good idea to carry a map or GPS navigation system with you to help you navigate unfamiliar roads.
- Return the car on time: Make sure to return the car on the agreed-upon date and time to avoid any late fees. Be sure to return the car in the same condition you received it in, and fill up the gas tank before returning it if required by the rental agreement.
Question and Answers About Car Rentals in Ghana
What are the requirements for renting a car in Ghana?
To rent a car in Ghana, you must have a valid driver’s license, a passport or national ID, and a credit, debit card, or cash for payment. Some rental companies may also require a minimum age limit and a deposit.
Can I rent a car with a driver in Ghana?
Yes, most rental companies in Ghana offer the option of renting a car with a driver. This is especially recommended for tourists who are not familiar with the roads and traffic in Ghana.
Are there any self-drive car rentals in Ghana?
In short, no. While you might be able to find someone who will let you drive their car without a driver, nearly every rental car in Ghana will come with a driver included. This is one of the reasons why you won’t pay any additional cost for insurance. This is perhaps the biggest difference between rental cars in Ghana versus car rentals in Europe or the Americas.
What types of cars are available for rent in Ghana?
There are various types of cars available for rent in Ghana, including sedans, SUVs, vans, and luxury cars. The availability of each type may vary depending on the rental company.
Why can’t I drive my own rental cars in Ghana?
Road accidents in Ghana are more frequent than in the United States and Europe, and the reliability of car insurance is limited. Luckily, the low cost of labor allows for rental car companies to employ trustworthy drivers to take care of their rental cars in Ghana. While many people find this frustrating, most tourists will find that their Ghana car rental experience is superior to those elsewhere, because they can sit back and relax without having to worry about driving directions, getting lost, or taking care of the rental car.
Do I need insurance for my rental car?
It is not required that you purchase any accident insurance when you rent a car in Ghana. Because your car will come with the driver included, the car rental company will be held responsible for any accidents or damages to the vehicle. This is one of the reason that renting a car in Ghana is a more renter-friendly experience than in the rest of the world.
What should I do in case of an accident or breakdown?
In case of an accident or breakdown, contact the rental company immediately. They will provide instructions on what to do next and may send a replacement car or a mechanic to assist you. It is important to have the rental company’s contact information readily available.
So, where does my driver sleep if I rent a car in Ghana for more than one day?
The company that you rent from will provide your driver with a daily allowance for food and accommodation. Occasionally, hotels in Ghana will provide accommodation for drivers, but drivers will usually find inexpensive accommodation near to where you are staying. Your rental car driver will stay with you as late in the night as you require, be sure to get your driver’s phone number in case you need your car in the middle of the night!
What are the driving rules and regulations in Ghana?
There are many driving rules and regulations in Ghana like in other countries. some of these rules and regulations may be similar globally. In Ghana, driving is on the right side of the road. Seat belts are mandatory, and the use of mobile phones while driving is prohibited. Speed limits are posted on the roads, and it is important to adhere to them.
Should I rent a 4×4 in Ghana, or should I rent a small car?
Before choosing a rental car in Ghana, be sure to ask the rental company about road conditions in the area where you will be traveling. Many roads in Ghana are suitable for smaller vehicles, but often you might be more comfortable if you rent a 4×4. Most 4x4s have an optional third row of seats, which would allow you to accommodate more than four passengers and a driver. This is not an option in saloon cars, which can accommodate a maximum of four people plus the driver. If you are looking to rent a car for a larger group, most companies will offer 15-passenger vans or 25-seat coaster buses.